Who Are We?
St. John's is a small dynamic parish family. We support and celebrate each other, we honor our differences, and from our beginnings we have worked together to build a place where everyone may find peace and seek truth. Most of us live in or near Wilson and we are very involved in community activities.
St. John's was first organized as a mission church in 1929, and within a year the current church building was purchased from the Roman Catholic congregation. The parish hall was built in 1954, in 2000 a ramp was added to make the church handicap-accessible, and in 2003, we excavated beneath the church to build a big, bright Sunday School room with a large window for emergency egress. In 2007, we completed a Memorial Garden near the entrance to the church.
In January 2007 we entered into a covenant with St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Burt. We have shared a priest with St. Andrew's off and on since 1949, so the roots of our relationship are deep. We remain independent congregations who share outreach ministries, Bible Study groups, and special worship services.
St. John's is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Western New York & Northwestern Pennsylvania. Scripture, Tradition, and Reason together are the means by which we grow in our understanding and faith; liturgy, prayer and study are central to our journey of faith. We use the Book of Common Prayer for our public liturgies and our private devotions. As stated in one of its Collects: We are part of God's creation, made in the image of God. We are free to make choices: to love, to create, to reason and to live in harmony with creation and with God.